Monday, October 18, 2010

.fetch.

We have a big golden retriever named Cooper.  We love our Cooper but he isn’t a very good retriever. We often take Cooper to the school down the street, into the back field where there is a huge open field to run and fetch a ball.

So here’s how it usually goes. I fling the ball. Cooper locks in, and sprints to the ball. Then I have to yell quick enough and loud enough at the very moment he retrieves that ball, so he will lock eyes with me and bring it back. If I don’t get his attention soon enough, he is off. He begins running in the opposite direction to chase a squirrel or see if the school kids left cheetos on the black top. The problem with this is that it is a huge field and somewhere along his journey to the cheetos he drops the ball and it takes me forever to find it again. But, if I get his attention right as soon as he scoops the ball into his mouth, if he locks eyes with me, than we are good and Cooper is flying back to me so we can do it again.

This past weekend Copper was the naughtiest dog he has ever been. No matter how loud I yelled, he wouldn’t lock eyes with me. He ran off. Way off. Apparently there was a smell in the mud that he had to rub himself in. But I was tired of trying to get his attention and so I let him go for it. Fine I thought, get all dirty and then you’ll have to have a bath. (which he hates)

I guess it got me thinking, because as he ran off, I actually said out loud to God, I’m Copper, huh?  The minute I take my eyes off of you, I am running full force ahead in a different direction. Call it squirrel syndrome, but what it really is, is the lust of my wicked heart that desires what Jesus says is not good for me. Mud puddles that might initially be fun to jump in but leave me all dirty.  When I lock into the eyes of my Father, I don’t run….I revel. I know God doesn’t give up on me, like I do on Cooper. I know He doesn’t desire a bath to be my punishment. But I do think sometimes He allows us to have our way and reap the consequences of jumping in the mud.  The amazing thing is when we crawl out, all covered in the filth of our sin, He is right there waiting to wash us off.

That said...  Romans 6:1 “What shall we say, then? Shall we go on sinning so that grace may increase?

Oh my prayer as I write this, is that I would look hard and long into the eyes of Jesus.
That my eyes would FIX on Him.
That I would be CAPTIVATED by My Lord.
That the  gaze wouldn’t be broken every time I see a “squirrel” out of the corner of my eye or smell a “cheeto”.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OR7VOKQ0xJY (you gotta check this song out!)

Jesus, FIX my eyes on YOU,  the author and perfector of my faith.

3 comments:

  1. Hebrews 12:1-2 "Therefore since we have so great a cloud of witnesses surrounding us, let us also lay aside every encumbrance and the sin which so EASILY entangles us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, FIXING our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of faith, who for the joy set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God."
    Loved your post, the example with Cooper, and the ever important reminder to be fixed, like a tree firmly planted.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for posting the whole verse. I love this scripture. To deeper roots!

    (Oh, and I love you:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stumbled upon your blog - I love it! I'm Sherry Jones' sister in law, I think we met once. Anyway - love your blog and enjoyed reading it! I am going to link it to mine so I remember to come back!! My blog is mainly for all our family that live out of the area - to see our kids grow.

    ReplyDelete